- A beautiful white sand beach - 10 minute dinghy ride
- Amazing snorkeling on a coral reef - 1 hour boat ride
- A beautiful place to just go for a sail on the ocean - 15 minutes and you're in the bay
- A beautiful, well-kept and equipped park with lighted tennis courts, basketball, skating, workout trails - you can even check out tennis rackets & basketballs, etc. - 5 minute dinghy ride
- Lots of basic shopping all within a short walk
- A marina with showers, laundry, books, tv's , wifi - 5 minute dinghy ride
- A library & church - short walk
Last Saturday they held a free health clinic at the local hospital - 5 minute walk. There was also a Family Fun Fest at the park - free hotdogs, popcorn, snow cones, soda, lots of games, crafts, music - everything free.
I'm pretty blown away by this community. Seems like most places have drastically cut back services due to the economy - but not Marathon. Somehow they are able to fund this huge park, with several full time staff.
I had a few boat projects this week. My galley freshwater pump gave out and had to be replaced. Thankfully I actually had a spare and managed to get the whole job completed in about an hour. The most time consuming part was digging in the bow locker to get the spare :-) I also changed the oil, fuel filter, and replaced two worn belts - so my engine is very happy.
I had a huge discovery during our recent cold spell. Unfortunately for me , I discovered it on the last day of the cold spell after waking up to 41 degrees! Anyway it turns out my Honda generator will run my little ceramic heater on the low setting. It's loud, but it works. I only needed to run it for a few minutes to knock out the chill. So after that I wondered if I could use my hot rollers - --- yes it worked..... Then I thought -- what about the toaster oven - again it worked - as long as I stayed under 375 degrees..... Suddenly the world is brighter aboard the Glass Slipper. Hey I can bake!!!!! So we've churned out brownies, biscuits, cornbread...