Finally it was time to sail! We had a bit of a challenge getting a reef in the sail – that gear needs to be tweaked.. The mainsail halyard also wrapped around the mast steps and caused some grief which we eventually sorted out – also another opportunity for enhancement. Once the sail was up (double reefed), we pulled out a little of the jib, shut down the engine and then -- blessed quiet! She handled very nicely even in all that wind and gusts, although we did get wet once or twice with spray breaking into the cockpit. I managed to make some quick sandwiches – although I will admit, that I nearly got seasick while inside the cabin. Once back at the wheel I was fine. We had quite a lively sail, and then I decided it was a bit too rough out there to be sailing around with junk all over the cockpit and flying around the cabin. It really wasn’t good seamanship… but I had been anxious to sail her before getting settled down to start on all the projects… We didn’t even have the dodge or bimini up yet and I didn’t have enough foresight to bring a hat….
I was excited to discover that I have real VHF radio in the cockpit and in the cabin, a huge bonus for me as I was always challenged to hear the radio on the old boat. As I expected there are a few tweaks I need to make her handle a little easier… like a winch on the mast for the mainsail halyard, and one for the reef lines too. I’m not keen on the mainsheet arrangement, but haven’t decided yet how to remedy that… and the line on the roller furler is just a little too big which makes it harder to roll it up.
After a couple of hours we headed back and I decided I might as well top off the fuel tanks, fill up the water and get a pump out before heading to the anchorage. I’ll admit that I missed the first approach (didn’t get close enough) and had to circle back for a second attempt. Glad to report that I didn’t hit anything J She holds 40 gallons of fuel, 50 water, and a 15 gallon holding tank. We also got a little gasoline for the dinghy motor and ice cream for the crew!
We rafted up alongside the Glass Slipper – and also have a line tied to Perseverance (DJ’s boat). In just a few minutes the dodger and bimini were up, the line connected for the propane, and I was making a meatloaf and baked potatoes! I am so excited to have a real oven!! I have 2 ten pound propane tanks that hang on the back rail (alas no propane locker). I have to turn the gas on/off at the tank – so one of the first projects is to install a switch & solenoid. I found a great propane/carbon monoxide detector marked down from $60 to $7 at Kmart – and installed that right away as I will admit the propane does make me a little nervous.
Well, that’s all the time I have for now…. but will write more tonight…